Sunday, July 15, 2007

Top 5

Old stuff...with footnotes.

So I don't guess that me and the girl* have had an official DTR conversation yet, but the other day when my guard was down I let that much-despised word slip out of my mouth... (I must state here that I don't remember the exact context, but it was something like the following)

"...blah, blah, blah...my girlfriend..blah, blah..."
"Did you just say.... ?"
"Yes. Dammit.....I guess I owe you a coke"


Such epithets need be left with the grade-schoolers and angst-ridden teens. We adults need a better and different label that has less connotations of ownership and possession and obligation.

But I digress.

So, as I was saying: no DTR yet, but we did have the 'All Time, Desert Island Top 5 movies' discussion. And if you ask me, this is a far better divining rod for a potential companion than any personality test, premarital counseling, or magic 8-ball. Her top movie: Steel Magnolias. The rest are unimportant for now. The important thing is that, if you have seen the movie, you now have the context for the gem that came from her today upon noticing the track lighting I had installed in my room:

"I saw your track lighting at Home Depot today....Steve." **
Girl - 1. Josh - 0.


*This girl and I finally did have a DTR, dated for two tumultuous months, and finally decided it would be better for us--and for those within striking distance and/or earshot of us--if we were just friends instead. We're excellent friends to this day.
**If you haven't seen the movie, there's a joke among some friends that gay men have track lighting....well of course it's not funny if I have to explain it to you!

No comments: